Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oktoberfest Day Five: The Way Home

My closest friends (and family) will attest that even through at times, I can be sentimental, I am not one for epiphanies. So believe me when I say that every time you travel, you have an opportunity to learn something about yourself. For my trip to Munich, my singular attempt at 40ish self indulgence, I learned the following: my children must lean good kung-fu and I like to travel more with my family. Please don’t construe this as a slight on my traveling companion Forrest, as he is a great person to travel with. He is a patient as grandmother and game for any mischief (which we had a fair bit of). It’s just that every time I think some adventure would not be a good fit for my wife, I realize at the end of the trip, that she probably would have enjoyed it. My Friend Glen might see this as my married-drivel, but he knows better, since most of his traveling usually includes somebody more effeminate than me :)

As for the ‘good kung-fu’? Its more of combination of my own dreams imposed on my children and the fact that I watched “The Forbidden King” on the way home. No, really, the kids need to learn some kung-fu!

And speaking of the trip home, we missed our connection from London to Vancouver (flight delayed in Munich). The upside is that Forrest secured a decent exit row seat (to himself) and I got upgraded to First Class. A quick tip for you intrepid travelers out there: don’t ever underestimate the power of a kind word. It’s what got Forrest and I upgraded on the trip to London from Vancouver and me upgraded on the trip home. And this First Class, unlike some more regional Air Canada flights, was well and truly top notch. The tiny cabins with their own little beds…. that was a first for me. So I arrive home after watching some great movies (love Iron Man), great grub and a head full of Cab-Franc from Lake Erie. All in all, a great way to end my 40th year celebration. Every man should be so lucky. But in truth, luck had nothing to do with it… Thanks to everybody who helped make it a reality: Forrest for being a boon travel mate and friend, my family who helped out with child care and most of my wife, who worked many extra shifts to pay for my little excursion. Love you all dearly.

~chris

No comments: